Pasadena Office:

215 North Marengo Ave.
Suite 160, Pasadena,
California 91101

(310) 907-5715 (direct)

Office Hours:

Monday - Friday

9:00 am - 5:00 pm



Proper planning does not always focus on matters that occur after an individual has passed away.  At times, it is important to protect an individual’s personal and financial well being if they are not able to protect themselves.  If you notice someone in your family that could be getting taken advantage of, it may be wise to petition for the court appoint a Guardian or Conservator.

What do Guardianships/Conservatorships do?
1) They shift the responsibility for making financial and personal care decisions from the minor/conservatee to the guardian/conservator, and
2) They impose significant limitations on minor/conservatee’s ability to take actions affecting finances or personal care.

What is the difference between Guardianships and Conservatorships in California?
Guardianships are created by the court to manage the affairs of minors.
Typically appointed in the event of deceased parents or unfit parents (e.g., drug use, mental disability).
In many other states, a guardianship fulfills the same role as a Conservatorship of the Person in California.

Conservatorships are created by the court to protect incapacitated adults.
There are two types of Conservatorship in California:

  1. Conservator of the Person – Charged with overseeing the personal affairs of the incapacitated adult.
  2. Conservator of the Estate – Charged with overseeing the financial affairs of the incapacitated adult.

What are the advantages a Guardianship/Conservatorship?
The primary advantage is that they have the strength of court supervision and support for the guardian/conservator’s decisions.  Through the appointment of supervised guardian/conservator’s, the court provides the best guarantee or protection of the minor/conservatee’s interests.

What powers are transferred to the Guardian or Conservator and away from the Minor/Conservatee?
The power to: contract; sell, transfer, or convey property; make gifts; incur debts (except in limited circumstances); delegate a power (e.g., make a durable power of attorney); waive rights; serve as a fiduciary (e.g., act as a trustee or executor).
In the event of a conservatorship, the lost powers can be altered by the court if the court issues an order or finds that the conservatee has capacity in regarding those specific powers.

If someone in your family or someone you know is in need of financial or personal protection, consider the possibility of a court issued Guardianship or Conservative.

If you have any questions, contact our office today for a free, no obligation consultation.

  • Case 1
  • Case 2
  • Case 3
  • Case4

You just received a call informing you that your Aunt Martha suffered a stroke.  When you visit her in the hospital, she is severely disoriented and does not recognize you.  Her doctor asks her if she knows where she is or what the date is, but she has trouble responding.  After a few weeks, her unfortunate situation does not appear to be improving.  You’ve been stopping by her house to feed her cat, and saw that her bills are starting to pile up.  You contact her bank to try and help, but they refuse to give you any access to her accounts.

Solution:  Speak to an attorney about petitioning the court to appoint you Martha’s conservator.  Doing so would allow you to handle her financial matters, such as paying bills.

One of your relatives, Tommy, is thirteen years old, and his parents have both recently passed away.  His parents left a $600,000 estate without a will, trust, or any other document naming a guardian for Tommy in case something happened to them.  You are concerned about Tommy and what will happen to him now, but you do not know what to do.

Solution:  Speak to an attorney about petitioning the court to appoint you either Tommy’s guardian of the person or guardian of the estate.  In such roles, you would be able to protect Tommy’s personal or financial well being, respectively.

Your 95 year old relative lives near you, and you stop by every once and a while to see how he is doing.  Recently, you have started to notice that he has been acting a little differently than usual.  At times, he did not even recognize you when you stopped by, and had forgotten where he was.  He told you recently that he received a telephone call from a salesman, and that he is contemplating purchasing a 20 year annuity.  You are concerned that he is not fully comprehending such a purchase, and is getting taken advantage of.

Solution:  Have your relative examined by a doctor to evaluate his competency, and contact an attorney to discuss the possibility of petitioning for the appointment of a conservator.

You are scared and you feel threatened by strange people calling you up asking for money or demanding payment for services that you do not remember purchasing or receiving.  You are unsure of what you should do, and you fear what will happen if you do not pay.

Solution:  Contact an attorney to discuss the possibility of petitioning for the appointment of a conservator of the estate to protect your financial well being.